View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #1783 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Your midlength DD barrel has a gas port sufficient to drive a heavier buffer. If you break the rifle down, you'll see a letter stamped on the end of the buffer. If it's a "C" it's a carbine buffer and you should definitely go buy an "H" buffer. Depending on the ammo, you might even be able to go to an H2. Something to try - the heavier the buffer, the more it mitigates the recoil impulse. There's no need to get all fancy - the Spike's buffer is OK...about the weight of an H buffer. Its powdered tungsten is supposed to be more effective. I have one around here somewhere...it's just snake oil IMHO. Any old H or H2 buffer will do. Some people recommend a spring from Tactical Springs (Sprinco). I use them (blue) in rifles I build, but I doubt they're that much superior. OTOH, they're pretty cheap and well made.

Relative to recoil management/muzzle climb reduction, first step is a mid-length gas system, which you have. Next would be the heaviest buffer your rifle will run, H, maybe H2, maybe even H3. Third would be a compensator. If you really want to go balls out, skip the stupid hydraulic buffer (IOW, ignore that silly doofus from 'Sons of Guns') and consider a VLTOR A5 system. You wouldn't need the stock, but note that with the A5, the receiver extension is a little longer and your stock will lack 3/4 inch from closing all the way to the end plate (which really doesn't matter since it's unlikely you'll ever shoot it all the way closed). On my Noveske Light Recce (midlength), I have use a BattleComp compensator (by far the best balance of compensator vs blast/noise) and an A5 spring/buffer/extension. I let a buddy (LEO and firearm trainer) shoot it and after shooting he looked at the upper to make sure it wasn't a .22 upper. Very soft-shooting rifle that gets back on target very quickly.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote