View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #1745 (permalink)
BlackZeda
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 19 Audi TT RS
BlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I'm no metallurgist, but the problem as I understand it is that the billets used are part of an extrusion. As such, the grain is completely uniform. The items machined from billet therefore have the grain always running in the same direction. This is problematic in that it means that in many areas the stresses imposed run across the grain, meaning weaker. They compensate for this by making the items thicker (heavier), but that is apparently tricky to do (knowing where the stress risers are going to be) and if it's not done perfectly, you get stress cracks fairly often. If it is done properly, you are left with a rigid but heavier item. With forgings, the metal is literally hammered into shape around the curves and bends in stress areas, meaning the stresses run with the grain, meaning stronger.

Before I'd pay extra for a billet lower or upper and suffer the extra weight, somebody would have to prove to me that a more rigid shooting platform will translate into me getting more shots into an 8 inch circle from 50 yards, and that I won't get cracking of the part after another 4000-5000 rounds. I made that assumption years ago, but current wisdom recommends against, and indeed, I haven't seen that at all shooting my Noveske with VIS compared to my SBRs with conventional Noveske uppers/lowers.

Hype IMHO.

Relative to the LPK, it's kind of cumbersome to buy the individual parts, but IMHO works better. Plus, I usually order 3-5 of each spring and detent just to have them on hand. Here's a representation:

The thing I was impressed with the Mega Arms billet receivers were that they were made with 7075 T6 aluminium. Since you brought to my attention that Noveske are forged from the same metal it is a moot point. My thinking was that, yes it billet, but it is a stronger material, so there shouldn't be any problems.

With golf clubs and mountain bike components you can actually feel that forged is stronger, so I think I will stick with Noveske.

As far as the lower parts kit, since this is my AR-supreme, I think I will hand-pick each part rather than get a kit. It is a labor of love after all!

I noticed that Rainer Arms now have Noveske lowers and uppers available seperately. Do you think having a matched set is worth the wait? I would think that since it is Noveske, that a seperate upper and lower would fit so well I wouldn't know the difference. Plus the upper has all the parts included with it.
BlackZeda is offline   Reply With Quote