View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #124 (permalink)
Spikuh
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370z
Spikuh has much to be proud ofSpikuh has much to be proud ofSpikuh has much to be proud ofSpikuh has much to be proud ofSpikuh has much to be proud ofSpikuh has much to be proud ofSpikuh has much to be proud ofSpikuh has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
^^^ absolutely correct. skipping gears is greater wear on the synchros, especially big skips like 2nd or 3rd to 6th... 5th and 6th gear are probably just single brass synchros and are not going to tolerate it long before getting hard to shift into or crunching/scratching in... especially if you try to shift it at a normal shift speed versus doing it slow and letting the synchros slow it down and the rpms fall closer to match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay4500 View Post
It cannot be less wear on the synchronizer; your shifting out of sequence and the 370z transmission has closed gear ratios, so you're causing more stress on the synchronizers. I am a mechanic and I have seen many people damage transmissions with mis-shifts and shifting out of sequence.
If you guys don't mind elaborating some more on this, I would appreciate it. I was under the impression that so long as the components were spinning at the proper RPM's any extra stress should be negligable. However, I am assuming that no quick-shifting or forcing the transmission into gear is involved.
Spikuh is offline   Reply With Quote