View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #121 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUR View Post
My car is currently not ECU-tuned - it has been dynoed with the stock manifold and my other mods (exhaust, CAI, NST Pulleys) then will be dynoed with the GTR plenum conversion.

I think for most people its interesting how mods can perform just with the OEM Nissan tune, so you can have real bolt-on performance.

Of course I have read the articles in DSPORT where they tested the M370 manifold and found out that a ECU tune is vital to at least restore stock peak performance and have gains in the RPM band.

Depending on how the conversion performs with the stock tune I will then maybe do a custom tune for the manifold to see whats really possible on a NA car if you max out possibilities.

I will report about every step and result in detail when we start testing.
That's not really what I mean, exactly. I guess what I'm saying is, the situation some have observed with the M370 is this: Stock tune before, bolt on the M370, stock tune after, got gains. Dyno-tuned before, bolt on the M370, re-Dyno-tune after, no gains. In other words, the M370's gains were entirely overlapped with effective dyno-tuning, making the mod pointless, especially considering a dyno-tune can be had for far less than the cost of a GT-R manifold and custom extra hardware.

If the GT-R manifold conversion makes true flow gains (as opposed to just tricking the stock ECU into leaner conditions at various points in the rev range), you should be able to dyno-tune a stock car w/ UpRev, install the GT-R manifold, and then re-dyno-tune again and still see gains from the new part.

Sorry for seeming negative, I'm really not . I love the idea of this, and I suspect it's capable of real gains. Just want you to know ahead of time, that's what it's going to take to prove it: either you, or a customer, will have to do that dyno_tune->dyno_test->install_it->dyno_tune->dyno_test process.