View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #1678 (permalink)
BlackZeda
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 19 Audi TT RS
BlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZeda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I have a shooting buddy that markets his own company's brand of gas piston AR's....the Huldra (Fleet Farm) is an upscale gas piston AR15 using Adams Arms gas system. It's a nice rifle, accurate and reliable, but about 30% more than a similar DI version and I just don't see the advantage.
I checked out that site and wandered into the uppers section and noticed they have a full upper for $545. My first thought was "that's a pretty good deal". Then I checked out other gas-piston complete upper offerings from other manufacturers; a Bushmaster goes for around $1100 and a LWRC is almost $2000...Just for the upper! I have read the this about 5 times now thinking "what's the catch"?:

Huldra » Uppers » Huldra 5.56x45 Mid-Length Complete Upper

If that is indeed a full gas-piston upper, it is cheap enough just to give it a try at some point!

As far as the advantage of a gas-piston AR system, I recalled some study the military performed comparing the M4 to newer gas-piston rifles:

Newer carbines outperform M4 in dust test - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

I tend to agree with you...big whoop. There really isn't a chance that I will be getting rid of my Bushmasters even though some people want to convince me that they are going to blow up and take out anyone withing a 50ft. radius the next shot I take with them. To me it is all about maintenance and what gun you have in your hands. All my ARs have FailZero BCGs and even before that I don't recall a single stoppage.

On the other hand I love my H&K pistols, so that MR556 is something I might consider if I have an extra 6 grand to blow (I would have to buy two...one for shooting and the other one for parts). But since I have this thing called a Z guns have taken a passenger seat to guns for the near future.

Speaking of gas-piston ARs....I watch this goofy show "Sons of Guns" where the last episode they were designing a revolutionary AR that was as dependable as an AK for the DOE. Yes they milled out their own receivers, but it looks like they just ordered a gas-piston from another manufacturer. It's like they don't expect gun-nuts to know that the H&K 416 or ACR or SCAR have been out for awhile now.

With that being said, I am anxiously anticipating an email from Rainier Arms letting me know that my Noveske matched upper and lower are ready for me to buy!
BlackZeda is offline   Reply With Quote