View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1646 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZeda View Post
A 9mm Glock would be a perfect first pistol. Can't go wrong there, the ammo is cheap and plentiful.
While I think a first-time pistol shooter ought to start with a .22LR and shoot the crap out of it (cheaply) to learn stance/grip/trigger control, my second choice for a new firearms owner would be a 9mm. I say that with the caveat that, especially if you're choosing an autoloader, you should get instruction in how it works, how to field-strip it and clean it, and how to shoot it. A good place to start is a local concealed-carrry course. You don't actually have to get the permit, or carry it if you do, but these kinds of courses are a great introduction into that kind of pistol.

As to rifles, I am much more inclined to recommend a .22LR and in that category, I really like the Ruger 10-22. Savage is also good. Marlin used to make a good rifle, but there have been "problems" lately and I see a lot of customer-service horror stories from that mfgr.

Brands of 9mm pistols...I'm not a big fan of Glocks because I think they're ugly, but there is no denying that they are really excellent handguns...reliable and very cost-effective. They are now at Generation 4, and while that wouldn't be my first choice, it likely means that there are a lot of Gen III versions around and I don't think you could go wrong with a good used Glock 17 or Glock 19 as a first 9mm pistol. I'll bet your local gun shop has at least a few.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote