View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #9990 (permalink)
ZForce
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Tour + Sport
ZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
cold weather, dust, and wear grooves all contribute to squeaking but if you use the right pads and BrakeQuiet they should not squeak at all.

was your 350Z running Brembos? my G is the last model year that ran the Brembo's on our cars and the rotors have decent amount of wear grooves but the thickness was fine so i just bedded the endless pads in around 23K miles. no issue and plan to run it until the pads wear out. I usually swap rotors every other time the pads wear out. my G is currently around 29K miles.

imho those places that charge for turning the rotors scare customers by showing them the wear grooves like it's some serious issue. unless my calipers ate a rock or something showing catastrophic grooves (which i would just replace the rotors anyway) i just ignore the normal wear grooves and bed new pads in, replace the rotor next time.

Good points and probably in my case it's cold weather and dust. Oem pads still have some miles left on them. Will pull the pads clean the calipers and use some BreakQuiet.

Non Brembos on both the 05 and 06 on the 350Z's, guess I was taken by the stealership when the pads had worn and they said Nissan does not recommend turning the rotors. So went with StopTech Stage 2 - slotted/ss/motul/ceramic pads out of Australia. They were a big improvement over stock, used BreakQuiet and no squeal, the pads just shedded a lot of red dust. This time I will go with your recommendation and unless a big rock tore up the rotor then just replace the pads and consider replacing the rotors next time. Thanks for advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
i didn't use any loctite on mine since the shift pattern landed perfectly.
My pattern did not land perfectly, hence the locticte. Apply loctitie on the upper 3 threads, middle or bottom three threads of the shifter?