View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #1592 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
In our society, we have become so civilized, mostly, that people don't need to walk around watching for threats and being prepared to react to them. For the vast majority, there just aren't any. The outcome of the show you mention was utterly predictable but only represents one, narrowly controlled, scenario. Furthermore, IMHO the important take-home point was that, although possessing the firearm didn't save their lives, they didn't hurt anybody with it either. So, apparently carrying a firearm is not a universal solution to staged active-shooter scenarios involving an experienced firearms handler and newbie college students in an auditorium, but it poses no risk to the rest of society either.
That's definitely an important point. Most of the anti-gun or the generally uninformed public tends to believe it's the gun itself that's doing all of the damage because that's what media and to an extent the government trains them to believe. I constantly have to remind skeptical friends that, unless it's by my doing, the Glock 26 in my holster is not going to jump out and start shooting at people.

Guns are safe in the hands of the responsible citizen. Instead of blaming the tool we need to be more productive as a society and blame the user...
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote