View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #71 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeterbop View Post
I would say it is a quick car. It fairs well in acceleration and does very well for itself in handling. All this argument over the torque curve seems silly to me. yes 220lb/ft of torque doesn't seem like much, but in our cars it is very deceptive. the torque curve looks flatter than any gasoline or diesel engine I have ever seen. You never get that strong shove in the seat but it definitely gets moving very quickly. Also if your in second doing 10 mph, you probably aren't driving it too hard, so I don't see the issue here. Maybe they could have made a tune available for those that wanted the shove in the seats, just neuter the low rpm band and let it get to normal in the middle of it.
Well, you're in a normal driving situation at that point. No one just cruises at low speed in 1st gear (at least they shouldn't).

Unfortunately with the Z, even though it makes say 220 lb-ft at 2,000 RPM, it's only got something like 160hp at that point pulling it along. If you really want to get a move on you better be at 4k or above. Which is fine. It takes some adjustment to learn to drive that way (program a downshift into the brain when you want to move)... but some people (myself included) prefer a car with usable power at any RPM above 0.

That's for street driving of course. On the track where you are winding it out all the time I am not concerned with how much hp/torque I am making at 2-3-4k even... because I'll be up at the top of the power band almost 100% of the time.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote