Thread: ground kit
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul View Post
Except when you get ground-loop issues (issues when "ground" between two points has a differential voltage, can generate electrical noise in electronic devices)
Adding more low-resistance paths (like the grounding kit) can only reduce the voltage differential between two points, not increase it. Therefore if anything it would cure rather than cause what you're describing above (which is basically the same thing I was talking about).

Quote:
The main reason I can think of that there would be multiple grounding points on the engine would be in the case of the components being seperated, or the materials being grounded have enough resistance in them to cause a voltage drop.
Right, the components are separated. There are several different sensors and actuators all around the engine and the engine bay, all of which should preferably share a common ground as closely as possible, and use the engine block or body metal as grounds. The body of the car and the engine block are grounded, but both are poorer conductors than good copper wire. Therefore extra ground paths are added to overcome this and reduce any ground variation between different spots on the block and on the body within the bay.

Quote:
That said, I imagine that Nissan would have electrical engineers smart enough and thorough enough to recognize this issue and ground things appropriately.

My main point was from the angle that installing one won't give you any performance increase, or even a reliability increase.
If it helps sensors and actuators perform better (as in, return more accurate sensing results, and actuate at precisely the right moment intended), that's good news. Random examples: it might help both of your MAF sensors read more accurately relative to each other, ditto for the dual wideband O2 sensors in our headers. Neither is going to show up on a dyno most likely, but they will make the car healthier in the general sense.

Like I said though, personally I haven't seen any hard results from mine. If there's any effect, it's too small to really verify afaics. Then again, the cost and installation difficulty is really small too, so it still seems like a decent deal to me.