View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1ddd View Post
wow! thanks for going through all of that trouble.....lots to think about now.....this or a junker to go through the snow.............thanks everyone for the help!!!! not regretting my impulsive dissision to buy the Z at all!!
No problem!

Keep in mind that even with a junker you'll want to put some snow tires on it if you really want full control. If you can get a reliable junker + snow tires then that's your best bet since you won't risk damaging the Z (either due to your own loss of traction or someone else's).

That said if you decide to put winter tires on the Z you'll find it does quite well in the snow. It's only real issue is going to be clearance. Above 4" of snow and you run the risk of getting stuck. Anything less or on plowed/packed snow, you'll be fine. I only recommend putting some extra weight over the rear axle to help you get moving from a stop.

I drive my 5.0 in the snow with Dunlop Wintersport M3s (less capable than the XIce Xi2 in snow/ice, but just right for Mid-Atlantic winters) and it does very well. The one thing I learned from last year is that even with the winter tires it still helps to add 100-200 lbs over the rear axle for added traction. So when it snows this winter I am loading the trunk down.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote