View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #31 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and as far as upgrading the rear end ratio in the 7AT, aside from spacing out all the cash I'm throwing down, and having to consider whether I want to get rid of VLSD while I'm at it (perhaps the 1.5-way Carbonetic that Mike@DDM likes so much), the other thing holding me back is I'm not sure if it will make 1st gear too short. The 1st gear ratio on the 7AT is way out there compared to the 6MT. In stock form on the sports model, 1st gear ends at about 36mph @7500rpm.

My tire/wheel upgrades that are coming soon (moving to 295/30R18 in the rear) already drop that number a bit, and when I ran the numbers, the combined effect of the tire/wheel change and moving to 3.692 in the rear would put 1st gear topping out at more like 30mph @7500pm. 1st gear already ends so quickly that it makes timing the 1->2 upshift optimally challenging, so I'm worried this will make it insane. On the other hand a higher redline from the ECU stuff would offset this a little. We'll see what happens when I get to all this I guess.