Thread: theDreamer's Z
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #39 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
I have a dyno time today at 5PM at Engine Logics, it is a Dyno Dynamics which wstar has used before and gave it a thumbs up. Will get some baseline numbers and hopefully next week go back and get some after numbers when my intake arrives.

What is the most optimal gear for our 6 speed manual to run the dyno in?
5th is what I've been hearing from the other 6MT guys, as it's the 1:1 gear ratio in our cars. On stock tires/wheels you'll just barely make it through the dyno run in 5th without hitting the ECU speed limiter. 5th is also the 1:1 on the 7AT, but we can't dyno with it because we hit the ECU speed limiter well before the redline due to a different rear-end ratio.

Edit: But if you bring up gearing with the EL guy, he'll tell you it doesn't matter. He says because the Dyno Dynamics works differently than, say, DynoJet does, the gearing doesn't really affect its ability to measure torque. I'm inclined to think he's right about that, but then again it may also be the case that you see less drivetrain loss at the transmission in 5th too, which would affect any dyno by some small amount.

Last edited by wstar; 08-03-2009 at 11:11 AM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote