Thread: Dallaz 370
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Dallaz
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09MontereyBlu370z6MT
Dallaz is a splendid one to beholdDallaz is a splendid one to beholdDallaz is a splendid one to beholdDallaz is a splendid one to beholdDallaz is a splendid one to beholdDallaz is a splendid one to beholdDallaz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin09 View Post
How hard was it to install the sideskirts and gtr button?? I want!
The GTR Button was pretty simple but, I like most people removed the wrong screws at first.... it's kind of deceiving. It actually took longer for me to remove the shift knob than install the button.

The side skirts were way easier than people made it out to be. I talked to a lot of people (excluding most of our Z locals telling me to do it myself) and they said take it to a shop for sure for "fitment Issues" and what not, but after being quoted everything from $250-$750 just for a damn 2 hour install I said forget that and decided to tackle it myself. So I inlisted the help of my girlfriends dad and some of his tools/garage space seeming as I only have a busy parking garage to work in lol.......

OK to the point!
the skirts were as easy as 1,2,3. I'd say 20 minutes a skirt if I had to do it again. Start off by turning your front wheels all the way to left if working on the left skirt, and to the right when taking off the right, to give you working space in the front fender well so you don't have to jack the whole car up and remove all wheels. Next jack up the rear end ( I used the jack supplied in the trunk) and remove the rear tire on the side your working on. After that you can start unscrewing the 4 screws (phillips) in the front fender well attached to the front end of the skirt and the 2 in the rear fender well holding the back end of the skirt.

Make sure to save everything from removal as the replacement side skirts will use your existing screws and bolts... at least most kits do not supply them. I think out of the 4 screws in the front 2 may just be holding the splash guards in place but I have to look at the photos I took to be sure, and if you don't have splash guards then thats just one less thing to worry about. After you get all the phillips head screws (black in color) out, you get underneath the skirt and remove 6 ( 8 at most, I forget) 10mm bolts (silver in color) all along the bottom of the side skirt at which time everything will be removed externally and the skirt should feel loose when tugged but there are still plastic "snap clips" holding the skirt in place.

This is were I got a little nervous but everything ended up a lot easier than expected. Open your door for work space. You should have a little wiggle room at the back side of the skirt and you'll need to pull it away from the car a little to locate the first clip.

You will need to use a pry tool or something equivalent and wrap it with duct tape (or any tape) as to not scratch the skirt or the body and, from the back of the car forward start prying as close to the clips as possible and they just pop right out. after the first few you will have the hang of it but as you get towards the front you have less room to work because the door gets in your way but you should have it removed in about 2 minutes or less and you can leverage the skirt in one hand while prying with the other so there won't be any added stress on the skirt. After doing the first one with some help I had the second one off by myself easily.

However when it came time to install my new side skirts the jack ended up being in the way so we had to use a second jack in a different spot, then remove the first one to install the skirt. So watch your placement on the jack or you may end up having to put your wheel back on, lower the car, reposition the jack, lift car, remove wheel, then install the skirt.... but we had a second jack so I was able to avoid the hassle, plus the one that's provided in our cars is a little sketchy!

Chapter 2

haha just kidding hope all that helped!

Dallaz is offline   Reply With Quote