View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Firehawk View Post
I was hoping to get advice on some supporting mods, that I can get away with so I don't lose that all important warranty. I read about the overheating oil issues and the terrible brake fade. I also would like to replace the stock exhaust because that buzzy engine note after 5k needs to go.

I've read about some oil coolers on here and please correct me if I'm wrong, getting the Nismo oil cooler and having the dealer install it will increase the chances of retaining my warranty should anything go wrong?

Regarding the brakes; should replacing the pads, lines and fluid reduce or eliminate the brake fade? Recomendations would be great.

I am also trying to find out how far I can go with the exhaust while keeping (or try to) my warranty. This is my daily driver until I can get a cheapo secondary vehicle to beat on. CBE and intakes I'm sure is okay, it's the headers and HFC's that are in question.

I've owned my Z for a couple weeks now, but will be out of country for the next few months while I finish my tour. I'm hoping to get a good idea of what I can / plan to do to the car. I don't have alot of money to spend as my money is wrapped up in a future wedding and a house. So I'm focusing on what I think are essential "adjustments" to the car. Thanks in advance for the help
Hey SS,

If you do some searching around you'll find some more detailed information, but as briefly as I can:

1) That's something you'd need to work out with your dealer, but most likely no.

2) Brakes... high temp pads and fluid will definitely help with brake fade. The OEM pads overheat very quickly on track and the stock fluid can boil quickly. A good pad and a DOT 4 fluid will help with preventing that from happening. Stainless lines will help with pedal feel.

3) Exhaust 99% of the time has no warranty implications as far as a CBE goes. Intakes are more likely to give you warranty issues.

My thoughts:

If you don't track the car, leave the brakes alone for now. The OEM exhaust is a bottleneck, so even just a good CBE will free up 10-20 whp depending on the system, plus totally change the sound. That's where I'd start. If you are worried about warranty, leave the intakes alone. The factory airboxes are VERY efficient and the only gains you see with aftermarket typically come at the very top of the rev range.

Enjoy the Z and thanks for your service!
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote