View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #338 (permalink)
christian370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 370Z/Saab 900se
christian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Just keep shooting. There is nothing wrong with the kit lens but if you want to get real creative You should look into a wide angle lens. Also you mentioned getting a 50mm prime lens which is good because any prime lens forces you to move around and find the best perspective instead of just going with the first angle you think might work and just zooming in or out to frame the photo. Your photos will definitely improve after shooting with it for a while.

But because you have a DX crop sensor a 50mm will actually be equivalent to 75mm on full frame, so you will find yourself scooting back quite often to get everything in the photo. I have the perfect lens for you! The Sigma 30mm f1.4..... On your sensor it will be approx 45mm lens so a little wider and more like a 50mm lens on full frame. I have this lens for my D90 and it is awesome.

You can really blur the background using it at f1.4 and it also is a very sharp lens. If there is anything else I would recommend it would be a circular polarizer filter. Basically (idk if you already know about these) it's just a filter that goes on the front of the lens and protects your lens and you can rotate it to reduce reflections on lots of surfaces (say the reflection on your car) and it enhances colors and cloud texture in the sky as you rotate it.

I have been going between the 35mm and 50mm Nikkor prime lens but I can't decide to be honest. I can't really afford the Sigma at this point unfortunately, I agree with you though that the 50mm will require more space to shoot which I am not sure will be useful in smaller confines like car shows. However, I feel like 50mm focal range gives your picture slightly more depth and a sense of distance compared to shooting at a 35mm focal distance. BUT, the 35mm lens crop is better for portraits and for smaller shooting spaces.

I can't make up my mind!!!

I have a circular polarizer btw, I love it and use it anytime I have to shoot in the sun.
SP Rays -- RE-11s -- SpecialtyZ Tune -- Swift Springs -- Stillen 25R Oil Cooler -- Stillen G3 Intakes -- Berk HFCs -- F.I. 12" CBE -- Stillen Sway Bars -- Es14 Spring -- INGS+1 lip -- CF Spoiler -- GTR Start Button -- VLED Parking Lights -- PWJDM V2 shift knob
christian370z is offline   Reply With Quote