Thread: MAZOC Firearms
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #255 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky View Post

For red dot EOTECH is the way to go. It's pricy but well worth it. RRA offers a mount for them that lets them cowitness with your ironsights.
Eotech vs Aimpoint is an ongoing raging debate in the top-quality RDS category. I have both. I prefer the Eotech reticle, but generally speaking, the Aimpoints are considered to be more rugged, and their 3-5 year battery life vs Eotech's 600 hour battery life might be a significant convenience for some people.

The Eotech inline battery series tends to be problematic with failure of battery contacts a known issue. Better IMHO is the XPS/EXPS series where a CR123 lithium is mounted transversely. I think the Eotech OPMOD sold by Optics Planet is an outstanding bargain at $495 if you don't need compatibility with night vision equipment. I've had one on my SBR for thousands of rounds without a hiccup. I just recently put an Aimpoint PRO on my Light Recce. I haven't shot it much, but it's a nice optic and at $400 it's an excellent bargain. Problem with that optic is that it's only available to law enforcement or military.

Virtually all of the RDS co-witness with the iron sights. The preference comes into play as to where you want them to co-witness -- either in the center of the optic, or in the lower 1/3. Personally, I prefer co-witnessing in the lower 1/3 and use a 7mm riser on all my Eotechs. The PRO with stock mount co-witnesses somewhere between the middle and the lower 1/3 and I haven't had an issue with that, what little I've used it. The Eotech EXPS series (including the OPMOD) includes the 7mm riser, so all of them co-witness in the lower 1/3 out of the box. The riser is removable for those who prefer co-witnessing in the center.

Last edited by MacCool; 09-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote