Thread: MAZOC Firearms
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #242 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Right now I'm primarily looking at BCM and Spikes for the upper because of all of the good info I've been able to read on the two outfits. PSA just caught my eye due to the specs, so I've been trying to do some due diligence on them before I ultimately make a decision.

I've also been going back and forth between M4-style or mid-length uppers. There is a lot of debate out there on which is better, and based on what I've read I've concluded I will be well-served with either... it would just be a matter of personal preference for my particular application.
Carbine vs mid-length gas systems is an interesting thing. Most of the rifles I've owned, all of my SBR's, are carbine-length. With a good compensator and the heaviest buffer they'll tolerate, recoil isn't a big deal in a .223/5.56, especially with some training and practice. Having said that, I've had a Noveske Light Recce with a mid-length system for about a year. It has functioned perfectly, and with the compensator the ability to stay on target in controlled pairs has been a revelation to me. At the last Tac Team excercise, I let a buddy shoot it and he made me prove to him that it was a 5.56 and not a .22 conversion. I have ordered a VLTOR A5 buffer system for it (in fact - delivered tomorrow). If that component's reputation is accurate, it should be yet another revelation. I have a TriCon course coming up Oct 4-5-6 with Jeff Gonzales. That's a high-rep 2000 round course where 3-inch groups at 50 yards from standing/kneeling/prone in rapid fire are the norm...I'll be interested to see how this mid-length gas/VLTOR A5/BattleComp compensator system works to keep me from taking too much criticism from a Navy SEAL.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote