Thread: MAZOC Firearms
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #177 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Grant at G&R Tactical sells the Colt 6920 for $990. I've seen too many RRA, CMMG, DPMS, Bushmasters crap out in high round-count courses that I'd never own such a consumer-grade weapon for the $200-$300 price difference over something that's professional grade. Sorry, I've spent too much time around people who shoot a lot and know the platform and who have shaped my biases.

Building a rifle isn't likely to save you much money when you take into account the tools that you'd have to buy to put it together. As to building it exactly how you want....how do you know what you want? How do you know what parts to buy, what works well together? IMHO, unless you're looking for just a range toy to put a couple of hundred round through per year and show off your new black "Army rifle", get the Colt, learn to shoot it, learn what works for you and what doesn't, then build your rifle.

This is often unpopular advice. I fully expect a rebuttal from the Bushmaster fans and the ArfCom crowd.
But... but... BUT!!!

I like the idea of building my own and my dad has quite a bit of experience with them so I don't think building one would be a big issue for us.

I remember from previous conversations you recommended Colt, Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense, and possibly even Spike's Tactical, all of which I have looked at. I am not the level of shooter you are, so I doubt I would ever be able to push one of those rifles to the edge, which is why I started considering some of the commercial grade rifles (Stag, etc) because saving $200 here or there could go to some more 5.56.

I think the key here is that I am not on your tactical level, so my rifles wouldn't need to be able to withstand the same torture you might put them through. So I most certainly would be well served by one of the commercial grade pieces, or something I put together myself provided I don't f*ck it up.

Though in that $750-$1000 price range the savings really aren't that substantial. $750 for a Stag vs. $850 for a Spike's Tactical vs. $990 for the 6920 vs. $1000 even for a Daniel Defense...

Rambling now, but I do appreciate your advice and will consider it as I continue to research.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote