Thread: MAZOC Firearms
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #174 (permalink)
brian0128
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Sport 6MT
brian0128 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Grant at G&R Tactical sells the Colt 6920 for $990. I've seen too many RRA, CMMG, DPMS, Bushmasters crap out in high round-count courses that I'd never own such a consumer-grade weapon for the $200-$300 price difference over something that's professional grade. Sorry, I've spent too much time around people who shoot a lot and know the platform and who have shaped my biases.

Building a rifle isn't likely to save you much money when you take into account the tools that you'd have to buy to put it together. As to building it exactly how you want....how do you know what you want? How do you know what parts to buy, what works well together? IMHO, unless you're looking for just a range toy to put a couple of hundred round through per year and show off your new black "Army rifle", get the Colt, learn to shoot it, learn what works for you and what doesn't, then build your rifle.

This is often unpopular advice. I fully expect a rebuttal from the Bushmaster fans and the ArfCom crowd.

I'm going to have to agree with Mac on this one. If it's your first AR then you need to pick one up so you can get a few thousand rounds downrange using iron sights. Can't beat 990 for a Colt if that is the barrel length and gas system that you want. I'm partial to the mid length gas system but for you first rifle, get something that you won't ever want to get rid of. Keep it simple since you'll end up building one the way you want eventually. You can always use the Colt lower for any build in the future.
brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote