Thread: MAZOC Firearms
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #173 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Trooper & Kirk, about how much do you think it'd cost me to build a basic (but quality) AR myself? It'd be my first time so I'm sure there would be a specialty tool expense as well.

Considering the rifles I am looking at right now from CMMG, Stag Arms, Daniel Defense, Spikes, and RRA are in the $750-$1,000 range. I think there might not be much in the way of savings... I'd just have more options to build it exactly how I want.
Grant at G&R Tactical sells the Colt 6920 for $990. I've seen too many RRA, CMMG, DPMS, Bushmasters crap out in high round-count courses that I'd never own such a consumer-grade weapon for the $200-$300 price difference over something that's professional grade. Sorry, I've spent too much time around people who shoot a lot and know the platform and who have shaped my biases.

Building a rifle isn't likely to save you much money when you take into account the tools that you'd have to buy to put it together. As to building it exactly how you want....how do you know what you want? How do you know what parts to buy, what works well together? IMHO, unless you're looking for just a range toy to put a couple of hundred round through per year and show off your new black "Army rifle", get the Colt, learn to shoot it, learn what works for you and what doesn't, then build your rifle.

This is often unpopular advice. I fully expect a rebuttal from the Bushmaster fans and the ArfCom crowd.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote