View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s View Post
Hmm great advice and I find this especially helpful for myself. How long after getting a new job should you wait before buying a house (which will be my first major purchase)? How much would be a year's worth of emergency funds? My situation is a little different though. You and Steve already know this, but I'm gonna be finishing school in May and hopefully will land a nice engineering job right afterwards. House is definitely the first major purchase, no questions about it. I live with my parents and they have emergency funds saved up, plus their own incomes. I will probably be paying for the house by myself with both my parents incomes being saved up for emergency funds. Appreciate the advice

Also planning to buy a GT-R after a couple years on the job and after having settled into the house
I say wait until you have a years worth of essential living expenses saved. So enough to cover 12 months worth of rent, car payment, insurance, food expense, and other necessities.

6 months is the minimum recommended safety net, but in this environment 12 months gives you more of a buffer.

In your case, just focus on saving for a down payment since your parents have the other expenses covered.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote