View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #51 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think I'd want one of those exotic cars if I could afford it. I don't think I understood then what "affording" a car like that really means. The sticker price doesn't even begin to tell the story, and really an exotic is pointless unless you track it, and if you're tracking it that means "incidents" are going to happen too.

So for example, if I can barely afford to buy a $100K sportscar, I can't possibly afford to really enjoy it. The cheap way to track enjoyment is low-end cheap cars that make reasonable track platforms (e.g. used MX-5 Miatas). I'd like to think our 370Zs represent a nice middle of the road option though. More expensive to play with than a used Miata, but not as expensive to play with as a Porsche