View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by armensti View Post
can you expalin a little bit more about removing weight from the rear? because i was thinking if i remove weight from the rear of the car it wont slide out as much as it needs to hence causing the car to understeer. but if i add weight to the rear it might oversteer which is much better then understeer
There are a lot missing factors in your question (not that I have all the answers anyways). Whether oversteer is better than understeer (or vice-versa) really depends on the driver, the track, the conditions, etc. Whether our car is more likely to change in the under- or over- steer direction by removing weight from the rear depends on driving conditions to some degree as well. I think in most common cases you're right that dropping rear weight will tend to shift the car in the understeer direction just due to basic inertial stuff. However, you also have to consider that dropping rear weight can reduce rear traction in some scenarios, which would tend to produce more oversteer.

This stuff is always way too complicated for me to fathom the complete dynamic picture. I guess that's why I'm not a car body/suspension engineer