View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
280z/300zx
Track Member

Drives: 280z, 300zx, Vette
280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute

I've had that same thought multiple times in the last few months and I don't even live in a place where it rains or snow a lot (Vegas). Still, there is something to be said about knowing you have a car that will always be able to handle inclement weather. I never understood the point of AWD in dry weather until I got my 06 WRX back in 06. Prior to that I only drove RWD (240sx, 300zx, 280z). In dry weather the WRX was just fantastic and always stuck. I remember several times I took turns that I though would never be possible and the WRX just stuck to the road; where as my 280z or 300zx would have spun out. The main thing that got me was the first monsoon storm I drove in with the WRX. Vegas sewer systems really suck as they weren't designed to handle a lot of rain as it's typically always dry, but when it rains here it pours. I was going down a street with literally a river running across it and the WRX just plowed through no problems. In both 2006 and 2007 we got snow here and it was wonderful to be able to drive my car and get it up the driveway. There were some people abandoning their BMW's and Porsche's because they wouldn't move. Yes, people here are idiots in the snow just leaving their cars on the side of the road. My neighbor at the time actually got stuck outside my house in her 350z and I had to help push the car so she could at least get it near her house.

In short, yes, AWD or in this case the STI does present a lot to offer. My only problem with the STI is that you have to go Stage 2 just to be competitive with the Z. Essentially subaru is really behind the times right now when it comes to $/performance ratio. It's rumored that the next gen STI for 2013 won't come with more than 300hp either and instead they will try to get the weight down 100-200lbs. For whatever reason subaru is not interested in pushing the power up on this car yet they still want to sell them for 35k.

You have a hard choice but in the end I don't think you can go wrong. Your Z looks awesome but the STI doesn't exactly look bad either. Stage 2 is relatively cheap and easy to do in your own garage and you'll have your piece of mind with AWD. Honestly if I lived anywhere else where rain and snow were regular occurrences I would be in the STI and not the Z. It's easy for me to say that though because I still have my 280z and 300zx to fulfill my Z addiction.
280z/300zx is offline   Reply With Quote