View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
Ferraris use 180 degree headers, which is what makes it sound like a ferrari, and not a mustang. The sound definitely IS from the exhaust. They are one of the few companies that really tune the exhaust for sound.

You think the subaru boxer rumble comes from the engine? No it does not. It comes from very unequal length exhaust manifolds. Bolt on a set of equal length headers on a subaru, and it sounds like any other 4 cylinder engine.

Now, I am not saying capristo can make the z sound exactly like a 355, but they are a company that tunes their muffler for the sound, a very sexy sound.
What??

First of all, Subaru boxer rumble comes from the engine layout being a flat 4, not from the exhaust. Yes when you do EL headers you loose the rumble, but thats only because the pulses all come out in sequence (since the cylinders fire at different times, not all at once) quickly following one another rather than in blocks. That allows for less interference in the exhaust system as well as the pulses essentially sucking each other out therefore increasing flow and provides some power gains. If you're going to teach me about any cars, please don't pick Subarus.

Like I mentioned before, you can play around with the sound using headers and piping diameter to change the tone / exhaust gas pulses, I dont disagree with you there. You just can't make your V6 sound like a V8 or a V10.

Like I said though, structurally the V6 and V12 share a lot of traits. One of which being similar exhaust pulses. This is why those crazy longtube headers sound like a highstrung V12. If you ask me...I love the sound of that 355, but I love the sound of a Zonda more...

Last edited by RCZ; 07-27-2009 at 01:33 PM.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote