View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberium View Post
Shouldn't Oil that low trip the low oil sensor?
There have been reports here in the past of engines going dry before they shut down and failed (one belonged to a dealer IIRC). I don't think we have a low oil level sensor, just a low oil pressure sensor, and by the time that goes off from oil loss you've already been running *way* too low.

My 2009's at 21.5K miles now, and I've never had any significant oil consumption issues after the first oil change or two. The level on the dipstick sometimes goes down maybe 1/8 of an inch at most over the course of an oil change, but it's hard to tell.

I've often wondered what the real cause is for the oil consumption issue they had the TSB about. Cylinder wall issues where they don't break in and seat rings properly or something? In any case, if it was the TSB issue I would've thought you'd have seen it earlier than this.

Is it at all possible you just goofed on filling the crankcase last time you changed oil? That or maybe a bad seal on the oil drain plug would be the two best outcomes, since neither would need a real fix. No oil residue on the inside of the undertray?