View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
k20z3
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2006 Civic SI HFP
k20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond reputek20z3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Correct B&W tutorial!

HOW TO DO A BLACK AND WHITE IMAGE CORRECTLY.

Lets use this image together: This tutorial will give you a BETTER black and white image vs using photoshops Gray Scale, you have 100% tonal control over all your colors!

http://ladymanson.com/Goodies/PS%20Tutorials/stock1.jpg (It's a stock image will work for the demonstration.)

Open this image in photoshop.

Once you have it we want to work NON DESTRUCTIVELY meaning using layer masks and using a nice soft brush 25 hardness and about 50% flow to paint black and white to conceal or reveal things.

Secondly, as tendency I always duplicate the background image to work on. Next, locate the Adjustment Icon on your layers.

Locate "Black and White" Click Okay. You will notice this will look like crap simply if you went to image > mode > grayscale, BORING AND FLAT!

So now here is where the fun beginning you are seeing all the colors in the B&W adjustments layer options above all the layers.

So lets beginning working with the red, THESE ADJUSTMENTS are TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE, meaning I will do what I think will yield, "emotional" results, people tend to be more attracted to contrasty images.

With the red I added more because if you look at the original, where my orange mark is, you will see that getting lighter and darker, I wanted to lighten up the reds in the image...

Now onto yellow you will see that this adjustments will brighten up the "Yellow" areas such as the arches once more, you will see the arches "pop" more.

Lets go onto the green, of course this is going to start messing with the trees, lets go a little darker subtracting green!

Now onto Cyan or the sky, I want the sky to be a little bit more darker, so again subtracting some cyan will bring in the details.

Again blue will be in the sky and most shadows are a form of blue, so you will see by subtracting blue the shadows get darker and so does the sky!

Last but not least magenta there is HARDLY anything in magenta you will notice marginal difference. You will notice this in the shadows will lightly bring the shadows darker.

For the final product I added another curve adjustments layer. And Used an S curve to add extra high lights and extra shadows!

NOW you see the Layer mask, or the white Box next to "Black and white" adjustment? That is the layer mask and you can get creative now! Click on that white box next to the black and white adjustment layer, that is the adjustment mask take a 50FLOW and a 25% hardness and paint the picture where the green would be, this is revealing the green grass...

Again with this I see a tendency with board members to have "flat gray" images, this adds flair to your images... enjoy!

2006 RALLYE RED HONDA CIVIC SI HFP
Clint's Helpful Photoshop Hints!
k20z3 is offline   Reply With Quote