View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #69 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt@UAMotorsports View Post
Guys I am doing my figures from pumping gas (I filled up 19 gal yesterday and drove 300+miles so far and I still havent reached 1/2 tank) and I am using info from the trip computer. both are correlating really closely maybe off by 1-2 mpg... still it does not negate the fact that at an increased hp level the car is under less strain to hold a given rpm...

for example:

maintaining 75mph in 6th gear stock required about 30+% throttle position...
maintaining 75mph in 6th gear TT'd required about 22% throttle position...

I am seeing an increase in motor efficiency and can sustain higher rpm's with less throttle input. Therefore, the motor is able to get higher fuel economy.

mike

btw rcz... I have been driving a TT G37 for 2 months now
ok none of this makes any sense. First of all how would you actually make it to the gas station with a totally empty tank. Which would have to be the case in order for you to actually fill it with 19 gallons of gas. second, i have no idea why you would run a car with 600whp and an aftermarket turbo kit and built motor and all that stuff with almost no gas in the car, that is just asking for trouble. Third, unless you got a different transmission, your gearing would be exactly the same as ours, and therefore you wouldn't have any reason to be getting better fuel economy. All things being equal, same RPM at the same speed, but with a larger displacement motor and a ton more horsepower, it defies ALL reasoning that your car could possibly get better gas mileage than a stock 370z.

Turbochargers, and any FI system, coupled with larger injectors produces more power by allowing the car to burn MORE air and fuel in the cylinder. You stroked your motor too, allowing it to burn even MORE air and fuel at the same time, producing more power. So burning more air and fuel at the same time means better efficiency?

Your car has more power than any stock 370z because it can burn more air and fuel in a given revolution than a stock vq37. More air and fuel burnt in a given revolution=worse fuel economy.

Just because your motor doesn't have to strain to make the same horsepower as a stock motor, doesn't mean it is more efficient. If a 6ft 300lb Powerlifter can more easily deadlift 500lbs than a 5ft tall 175lb power lifter. However, when they are both walking around the 300lb guy burns more calories to do any activity just because he has a higher metabolism and more mass. Granted, engines aren't people, but its the same principle.

I also don't see the point in making a false statement about increased fuel economy on a high horsepower car. The correct answer to 'how many MPG's do you get?' in your high horsepower, modified car, is 'I don't give a shit.'

Last edited by Jeffblue; 08-05-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote