View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
I clicked this link and found it really interesting. However, not being very clever at this sort of thing, a lot of it went straight over my head - so what exactly does this AllPro adapter do, and how exactly do you use it?

I know these are numpty questions, but guess what - I'm a numpty

Do you just use it as a link between the car's OBD and your laptop? If so, where does it actually go?
Yes, it's basically an OBDII (including CAN, so hopefully our cars as well, which use CAN SF) to USB adapter basically. Once you have that hooked between the car and the laptop, you can use any number of free tools to monitor car data, or write your own software for it (or build a scangauge-like custom device to do whatever you want on an embedded platform).