View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINZ View Post
If I understand correctly, when the trans heats up on M mode, after doing some lapping,the TMC will cause the trans to shift itself at a lower RPM ?
Right ?
No. If the TCM overheats, your gas pedal's position (which is electronic, not a traditional hard throttle cable) will be elecronically limited so it's like you can only barely use the gas pedal at all. This still wouldn't affect gearing. However, at least in my experience, I've never overheated the TCM.

Quote:
This is the issue I have. I have been told that the 370Z has that problem.
I was told to check on your threads here because I have a Genesis 3.8 GT Coupe and have the same problem when I do lapping.
At some point my 3rd gear will shift by itself to 4th gear at 3800 RPM
I was wondering if anyone had solved the problem by installing a trans cooler.
If you're looking for help with a Genesis problem, nothing we're talking about here will help you at all. They will act completely differently and have different problems. The transmissions aren't even built by the same company, much less the same model.

There are several fault conditions in which the 370Z's 7AT will disobey your shifting inputs and protect itself, but those are not overheat conditions as far as I can see, they're for when components have completely failed and you need to take it in for repairs (although I guess you could fry something permanently with heat, so heat could be the indirect cause).

Assuming you don't have broken parts, the 370Z 7AT in M-Mode in 3rd gear will never go up to 4th at any RPM unless you ask it to. Even if you sit there and bang into the rev limiter for several minutes, it won't upshift without you telling it to do so.

A trans cooler is still a good idea for the track though, it will save excess wear on the clutches, and very hot fluid could result in slower shift execution.