View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #531 (permalink)
98intrigue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 Viper
98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 98intrigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei@G35Dri View Post
I read the thread and here is my take on it, it's not very good.

In my opinion single turbo kits belong on inline motors and a V6 with 2 headers and dual intake inlets belongs to a twin turbo kit which is why it had soo many problems. VQ35DEs have only 1 intake inlet and 1 MAF so they fair better but it still belongs to a TT kit. I have no doubt the people who made the kit are professionals in BMWs, but they let you roll with air in the cooling system which is a notorious nuisance on a VQ without coolant bypass mods, which would be my next mod if it was my car and I believe the only lines to remove are the ones from the throttle bodies on the VQ37, and since you are a former owner of a G35 you should have suspected there was air in it because of the high temps. This could have ended badly. I also noticed the power steering line being too close to that PS pipe before I read the system went.

Another thing I will say is that I don't believe in the idea of a single being better or less of an equal to a TT kit in power delivery. Sound Performance was making power from 3K RPMs all the way to 9K RPMs on their shop 350z with a TT kit using the same turbo you have.

I might sound like hard *** and a douche bag but that's my take on it. I do like the welds and the kit and the piping and everything, but only if it was on a inline motor.
Oh, I totally agree with you...twin turbos are much more ideal for this motor than a single turbo. I just prefer the power delivery, sound, and the fact that no one else has it. I like being an innovator and I like being different.

I suspected air in the coolant system from the beginning. It was noted and fixed right away with the addition of a custom overflow tank, since the OEM one had to be removed due to space constraints. Since then, the overheating issues have been solved...except for when the car sits at idle in traffic for more than a few minutes with the AC on. As soon as I get moving, the temps go back down.

I never noticed the PS line being so close, so that's partly my fault I guess. I learned everything from my previous G35. So this car is another learning process. The line was wrapped with what looked to be a DEI cold wrap, but the uppipe burnt through it and the PS line. Now there is a fire retardant wrap on the hose. Hopefully it will be ok. This is something I should check every oil change...and I will.