View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm pretty sure reaction times make a difference when you're quibbling over 1/10ths of a second in a 1/4 mile. A 2.1 vs 1.9 r/t could mean the difference between breaking the 12 sec. barrier and not.
Reaction time isn't part of your quarter mile time. You can wait for the light to go green, sit there for 5 seconds, and then take off, and still make the same 1/4-mile time you would normally. Reaction time is gauged separately, and the actual 1/4 starts when your front tire clears the second staging beam.

Quote:
My point is that 1/4 mile times are too dependent on outside factors and nuanced skill. Case in point many 1/4 mile times in the track thread on this site in the upper 13's and even 14+. I can't say on this site that I'll be able to prove a modded 370's pulling power compared to an m3 but I can tell you it'd certainly be close.
I think a modded (but still NA) 370Z can definitely get into the 12's, that's not the question. It's just a question of how much modding . I've kinda been on hold for a couple months on new dyno runs and new 1/4-mile runs because I'm waiting to sort out my exhaust issue for good (hopefully in early August now). I think at that point with a little prep (remove junk from car and drop rear pressure, etc) I can get lower than my initial 13.4's, but probably not quite into the 12s. The upcoming tire and wheel change I'm making might push me into the 12s though, with the added grip and lighter rolling weight in the wheels, and lower gearing from shorter wheels.

But a stock 370Z, even with the most professional of drag racers behind the wheel, will not hit the 12s, period.