View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #209 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo89 View Post
ok........ fastest ive ever gone in my Z so far..... 145 mph in 6th gear, i didnt even realize my Z had a 7th gear till i accidently flipped it again, and it popped into 7th gear... but by that time i slowed down considerably, 145 mph in 6th gear, not knowing i could have alot Faster, if i flipped it up another gear.......

145 mph could of been 165 to 180 (depending on different variables)
It's not about what gear you're in, it's just about coefficient of drag vs power to the wheels (or if your aero is bad, you could lose control of the front of the car rather than just being "held back" on speed by aero).

On your (7AT) car if we take say 7400 RPM as a maximum, 4th gear tops out at 123mph, and 5th at 174mph, with 6 and 7 going to 202 and 226 respectively. However, the stock ECU has a speed limiter that will limit you to around 155-160-ish regardless of gearing. And even if you had that limit removed, without some serious power and aero upgrades you won't get very much further than that just due to the aerodynamic "drag limit" your car faces.

I highly don't recommend coming anywhere near these numbers on a public road. Most people really don't have a firm intuitive grasp of the braking distances and effective reaction times at these speeds. For example: taking reaction time, speed, and traction into account, in the best case from the time your eye catches a problem to the car being at a dead stop is going to be well over 1/4 mile if you start at 160mph. You may fail harder and take even longer to react if you're not on the edge of your seat scanning every inch of road way out ahead of you.

I know people are going to do it anyways, I've done it in the past on various cars as well. I'm just saying, be careful. Don't run that kind of speed with any cars near you, especially within 1/2 mile -ish to the front of you. Absent-minded (or suddenly freaked out) drivers will change lanes right in front of you at less than half your speed, while panicking and slamming on their own brakes as well. And if you can't see that far ahead due to curves or hills, you may as well be driving blindfolded.