Thread: Cobb vs UpRev
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #120 (permalink)
t-ray
Base Member

Drives: 05 g sedan 6mt
t-ray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
Those statements may be true based on the products they've released for other cars, but as it pertains to the 370Z, until their stuff is released, it's vaporware. Don't get me wrong, I've heard nothing but good things about UpRev and have high expectations for their 370Z software. Heck, there's a good chance that I'll end up going with them. But coming out and claiming that your stuff is better than the other guys before you've even finished with development just seems kinda cocky to me. To be honest, it's a bit of a turnoff. Also, I believe the forum rules state that one needs to be a forum sponsor if he wants to push his products on the forum.
Technically, the product isn't out yet, so I don't know if he's violating rules or not.

I love the potential offered by the product, even though I'm not an owner. However, as much as I love what I have read about the product, I'm not too fond of the company.

** Edit -
Another benefit of UpRev not posting as a sponsor - we can discuss things objectively without the poster getting all butthurt and threatening to have threads pulled/edited/closed by throwing around sponsorship weight.

On another forum I suggested that UpRev make Cipher open source, and still charge for the cable. Or at least open up the software to other developers with a core api. There are some awesome things the community could build if we had that low-level api already done for us. But the reaction was a typical knee-jerk "but we're in business to make money" response. That's a typical response from some one that is not in the software business. People in the software business have figured out how to still make money while giving certain things away for free decades ago.

My issue wasn't with the company's response. It was the tone and verbiage used; I was insulted. I speak to my 12 year old son with more respect than was present in the response I received from UpRev. That cost them a customer. That's the primary reason I haven't ditched the utec and gone the full Osiris+Cipher route.
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote