View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Made an attempt on Sunday, but backed out halfway through the process. Stillen's kit ships 3/8" ID lines (and 3/8 clampless barbs -> 6AN -> M22x1.5 fitting harware for the Setrab side), but the metal pipes on the car side they slip over (one on the radiator, one hard line from the transmission) are clearly 5/16" OD. Without clamps, this combination leaks fluid. I have no doubt I could squeeze clamps on it and make it stop leaking for the moment, but it doesn't seem like a very safe idea for hot transmission fluid of varying pressure. Pipe O.D. and Hose I.D. are supposed to match for clamps/beads/barbs/etc to do their jobs properly.

I sent an email to Stillen a couple days ago asking for clarification on whether I had the right parts, and/or whether the car they designed/tested this kit on had different fitting sizes than mine. No response. Sent a reminder followup today.

What would you do? Is it possible the fluid flow to the cooler is so well-regulated and low-pressure that clamping 3/8 down onto 5/16 is a non-issue? I checked over at summitracing.com, and I could piece together the right adapters from there to make their kit work with 5/16" transmission fluid hose.