View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #1538 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

You'd probably be fine with the one RCZ is using, even if you have some minor stereo upgrades.

I use the smaller PC680 on an even longer positive cable run, and with my alternator 10% underdriven (20% Stillen underdrive crank pulley + 10% NST overdrive alternator pulley), and in the long run that setup works as long as you're mindful of what you're dealing with.

By that I mean: it would work perfect if I *always* drove the car at least once every 1-2 days, and every drive was 30 minutes+, and I never burn down the battery level on accessories with the engine off (e.g. playing with the window up/down a lot while engine off). You start violating these constraints, and the PC680 will weaken a bit. Too many violations in a short span of time, before the alternator can make up for it, and you can easily find yourself unable to start the car.

My setup was even more finicky (but still, not all that bad) before I added the 10% alternator overdrive pulley. That change was very noticeable in terms of battery charge/discharge patterns for me.

Anyways, since I do violate those constraints on a pretty regular basis, I added a little Schumacher-style charging pigtail to my battery to plug in a trickle charger when I know it needs a little boost. I highly recommend the actual Odyssey-brand Ultimizer chargers for their batteries. They do a special charging cycle that works best with their own batteries, although I guess any high-quality charger which uses a charging profile designed for AGM battery internals should work (i.e. not some random cheap trickle charger from AutoZone).

Last edited by wstar; 05-28-2011 at 11:34 AM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote