View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Arguably some of the oil additives do hurt your engine. I wouldn't put Slick 50 or that thick-*** STP (or anything else similar) in any engine I cared about, especially not a specialty engine like our VHR (high revving, the VVEL cam system, etc).

Fuel additives are, IMHO, a bit safer. I run some injector cleaner additive through my fuel every few months. Even that's unnecessary if you're using quality fuel and pushing the engine hard enough to clean itself, I just do it to be be anal.

If you're going to use anything, the (generally knowledgeable) BITOG guys seem to prefer Techron and Marvel Mystery Oil for fuel additives, and also MMO as an oil additive for cleaning out the crankcase (but not for extended use, and personally I'd not use it on every oil change like some of them do, just for an occasional short-miles cleaning cycle on a dirtier enginer).
Back in the old days, I had to rely on GM Top Engine Cleaner on a regular basis because leaded gasoline would foul the new Bosch injectors that came out on my '74 280Z. Today's fuels are pretty clean, contain no lead (obviously), and I believe that injector cleaners are only rarely needed. After leaded gasoline was essentially phased out, I never had a problem. My '77 280Z always ran great without having to use any of that stuff.

IMHO, the concept of a "dirty engine", injectors nothwithstanding, is a marketing concept promoted by the oil companies and aftermarket additive companies to sell more product. I do use the occasional bottle of SeaFoam when storing my boat for the season, even though I suspect it's not necessary.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote