View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post

But at least it's unlikely to hurt your engine.
Arguably some of the oil additives do hurt your engine. I wouldn't put Slick 50 or that thick-*** STP (or anything else similar) in any engine I cared about, especially not a specialty engine like our VHR (high revving, the VVEL cam system, etc).

Fuel additives are, IMHO, a bit safer. I run some injector cleaner additive through my fuel every few months. Even that's unnecessary if you're using quality fuel and pushing the engine hard enough to clean itself, I just do it to be be anal.

If you're going to use anything, the (generally knowledgeable) BITOG guys seem to prefer Techron and Marvel Mystery Oil for fuel additives, and also MMO as an oil additive for cleaning out the crankcase (but not for extended use, and personally I'd not use it on every oil change like some of them do, just for an occasional short-miles cleaning cycle on a dirtier enginer).