View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Modding the driver info display?

I couldn't think of a better section, since ECU stuff is here, but this really isn't tuning.

Has anyone, professional or amateur, started looking at what it would take to mod the software on the driver info display (the left "smart guage" thing). They did a craptastic job with the software on that thing, and it would be nice if it could be reflashed (or worst case, swap out a ROM or whatever) to make some improvements.

I'm running on the assumption that the data it shows is acquired raw off of the CAN bus (outside temp, data for various mileage estimates/predictions, water temp). At the very least, a mod could make the water temp LEDs a little more useful (linear, so that it doesn't stay on the same LED forever), and maybe provide multi-display capability on the display (like, show outside air temp, exact water temp, mileage estimate, and predicted range-to-empty all on one screen in smaller font, so you don't have to push buttons all the time to see them all). It might even be possible to get it to display other data from the CAN connection, essentially turning it into a built-in ScanGauge-like device.

I haven't even really started looking at this, just thought I'd see if anyone else has started yet before I do.