Thread: Codes
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zat_Zuma View Post
I have had the air tube intake rubber connector on the throttle bodies be loose and mis-aligned, causing a air leak into the manifold. I'd check there first before looking at the manifold connections.

I just hope you don't have a cracked manifold
Yeah that would cause a vacuum leak as well. I believe he's talking about the tiny EVAP hose connections, one on the rear of each throttle body. Double-check PCV connections too (two tubes going to the front little inlets of the manifold).

A good way to check for vacuum leaks in general that I've seen posted elsewhere on this board: with the car running, spray something with a relatively safe solvent and/or fuel mix all around the intake manifold area (e.g. brake cleaner made from acetone/methanol/etc. Or maybe a safer solution would be a spray can of Engine Starting Fluid). If there's a vacuum leak, it will suck that stuff in and combust it, and you'll hear a change in the car's idle speed or whatever. Be careful of the fire hazard spraying that stuff around hot metal though.