View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #139 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue370tt View Post
I am not getting into an opinion debate here: "but you have to face up to the fact that it is an AT, and it does come with an AT's shortcomings".....yes you're right....its still 1962 and AT's have'nt changed at all.
I didn't say they hadn't changed. They've improved greatly since 1962. So have MT's for that matter (much better synchronization, and of course now the automatic blipping on our cars). But it's still a fluid-drive transmission.

Think about it: There's a real reason that higher end manufacturers are putting in expensive, heavy systems like PDK and DSG (the true semi-automatics which are basically sequential manuals with automated clutches), instead of just using ATs with paddle shifters. ATs are fluid drive (lossy/inefficient) and slow to shift. The one nice thing about the AT system is the fluid torque multiplication, which really can help in the low RPMs.

In truly aggressive/track driving situation, the 6MT has the edge in shifting speed by a mile. Your quoted numbers are just the physical shifting time (e.g. in D-mode drag racing), you have to add on top of that the input delay on the M-mode system, which you're going to have to use for any serious driving (downshifting). A good 6MT will beat that any day. I've gotten used to the 7AT's shift delay to where I can compensate by shifting "early", but it took a while to get my brain to do that reliably. There are other things you have to re-teach your brain about too, like not dropping off the gas pedal until after you upshift instead of while upshifting (or else the 7AT gets confused and shifts extremely slow and clunky).

Quote:
As far as your awareness of Osiris tuning on the 7AT: Its a well known fact among any 7AT's considering FI (SC or TT) on this forum and is in many of the posts and threads about FI.
I wasn't aware this had been discussed elsewhere, but it's interesting. I'll have to talk to some local Osiris tuners and see if I can get them to play with the line pressure on mine. I'd love quicker shifts and engagements even without FI. Something tells me it will have no effect on the lag between shift button input and the start of the shifting process in M-mode though.

I love the 7AT, it's a great transmission for a mixed-use car, I just think you're taking it a little too far in claiming it's superior in every way to the 6MT. It clearly isn't.