View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue370tt View Post
^^^^This.......BTW.....most of the MT people on this forum HATE the AT and are stuck in the 1960's when manuals really were better. The sport package is a good add, but its not going to be worth it if you have to learn to drive the MT. You will be happier with the 7AT....I know I am.
In their defense, the MT is superior in some ways to the AT for real driving. It's lighter, slightly more efficient at transferring power, and the shifts are faster and more predictable. Also, they can drop out to neutral at any time, and then resume in the gear of their choosing.

I really like my 7AT, it's one of the best AT's I've ever driven. Torque multiplication from the converter is handy, it shifts reasonably fast, and it does have a lock-up system for efficiency. After spending 10 years commuting behind the wheel of a 6-speed machine, I just decided I didn't want to do that anymore in traffic. For a dedicated track car, it's the 6MT without question though.

What we can probably all agree on is we'd rather swap them both for a DSG-type system like the GTR has, or Porsche's PDK thing.