View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanracer View Post
There are dyno's on the site of the stock box/HPS tubes/K&N drop-ins. The power gains between the stock boxes (13hpish) and the G3 (16hpish) is about 2-3 HP in favor of the G3.
I wouldn't expect such a slim margin, but I'll admit I could be wrong here. Keep in mind with numbers this small, you really can't compare different dyno runs done at different locations on different cars, etc. I'd love to see someone take a couple consistent dyno runs on the G3 vs HPS+K&N all in one sitting, that data might be worth something.

Quote:
The ones I saw were on a Z with HFC's and aftermarket exhaust if I recall. The G3 seems to yield more high end (less used) power while the HPS/K&N drop-in yields more mid-range power (everyday driving power).
You're saying the G3 loses mid-range vs the HPS+K&N? Again, it's possible, but I find that hard to believe without some rigorous comparative results.

Quote:
For a 2-3hp difference its hard to justify spending the extra money unless you want some bling in you engine compartment or want to go for max HP regardless of where it is. The G3 has more documented testing to date because thats what everyone's been using until recently. It seems more people are starting to use the HPS/K&N option and I think you'll likely see more testing as its popularity increases. Right now HPS tubes are back ordered everywhere so its fair to say that they are gaining popularity.
Of course they're popular, they're cheap and easy and obviously better than stock. Pulling the bumper and cutting holes in the radiator core support doesn't really appeal to most people . I'd still like to see a better comparative analysis before anyone starts thinking it's a foregone conclusion that they're a better deal.

(btw, my Z is probably the single ugliest one on these forums, it's the anti-bling Z, even under the hood, so don't throw that at me).