Thread: Cobb vs UpRev
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #70 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FricFrac View Post
It sounds to me like you want the ability to put a new map in the ECU then do another car but keep the updated map in the old car. I suspect you need to get the "tuner" version in order to do that.

That is my issue with this system - you are spending a huge chunk of change for what is basically a EEPROM programer and just reads data off the data bus on your car. I haven't looked into it really but I suspect that it runs off something like a CAN network. What ends up happening when you tighten the reigns too tight to make some money is techies get upset and try to find their own hack on the system. While I don't mind paying $700 to be able to access the data bus with zero effort the fact that they are reading my serial number on my ECU then only allowing that ECU to use the hardware that burns me because I expect for $700 I should be able to hook my hardware up to my friends ECU and clear his CEL or even program his MAP if I want. $700 is a lot of coin for what this unit is and I don't mind paying for the research but the excessive restrictions are just that - too restrictive for the price paid. Feels like I'm buying an Apple product. I suspect the first hack for this will be a micro controller to monitor the bus then when the unit checks for a serial the ucontroller sends it a default serial thus bypassing the serial check then you can use it for any ECU since its married to the generated serial....
First off, in the case of the UpRev stuff, you can still hook up to the CAN and read data and clear CELs and whatnot on other cars, not just the licensed car (using your copy of Cipher). And secondly, you're not just uploading a map. What the UpRev guys have done is completely reverse-engineered the car's software and rewritten it. When you program your car with Osiris, you're replacing the factory engine software with their own custom version, which in turn allows easy uploading of multiple tuning setups to the car (again with Osiris) and easy switching of them via the cruise control buttons.

The $700 isn't paying for access to a CAN bus. The $700 is what you're paying them to defray the costs involved in reverse engineering and rewriting the car's ECU software, which is a pretty tricky endeavor.