View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #69 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

While I like "instinctive shooting" training in general and think it's great for practical handgun stuff, I'm not a fan of the system they're showing there (point with index finger and pull trigger with middle finger). That looks really awkward and very non-standard. For fast, practical shots at close ranges (which is what they're going for), it's really not hard to learn to instinctively point the gun while holding it properly and using the correct finger on the trigger.

On the other hand for anything that gives you a tiny slice more time to aim: you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until you're on the target anyways (a very cardinal safety rule). Where you keep your finger until that time is straight down the side of the gun anyways, which does allow for "pointing" to help your initial aim. Then you fine tune with the sights while you move your finger to the trigger.

A laser sight (which I'm not a fan of in practice for carrying) is a great training tool for training instinctive aiming by the way. You can practice all day with an unloaded gun dry-firing, and see exactly how the real aiming point lines up with your intent.