View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
so going back to my earlier question, exactly how much weight did you remove? 200lbs? 300lbs?
Oh not even close yet. Last time I tallied everything up, I'm down about 105lbs in my normal configuration (and more lost in the front than the rear, and importantly some of the loss was rolling weight on the wheels+tires).

FI LTH's are coming in June which will drop another 17lbs up front. Seats will drop another another 23 or so lbs, that's the next major interior thing. Front 2-peice rotors will drop another 14lbs (rolling, unsprung) weight, not sure on the back, probably less, let's say 5. So that ballparks me around 165 lbs down once I get to that point in my progress.

After that, it really is mostly stuff you'd only do on a more dedicated vehicle: killing the radio, the A/C, all the interior plastic, extraneous wiring, etc, etc. I'm not doing any of that so long as I'm regularly driving the car on the street.

Edit: BTW, for ballpark referencing what weight reduction is worth, since our cars are in the ballpark of 10:1 weight:bhp ratio, I generally go by that. E.g. dropping 105lbs is worth about the same as adding 10 horsepower just in terms of raw acceleration potential. Of course that doesn't factor in any other benefits.

Last edited by wstar; 04-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.