View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromG2Z View Post

As far as K&N drop-ins... aside from the worry about fouling the MAF sensor (I am still on the fence regarding this... seen both sides of story), what I am worried about are more the particulates that get in. I mean this from the standpoint that I noticed on my G35, that since I switched to K&N, my oil was a lot darker than pre-K&N. Not sure if there's any truth to that at all... but I also read around that some folks did notice that too. Now what that means.... I would be led to believe that the engine is simply running dirtier... maybe someone else can enlighten me on that topic.
The oil color after several cycles can very depending on the type of oil you use. The darkening happens when the oil absorbs carbon deposits from detonation. I could be wrong, but I'm assuming low grade gasoline would have this effect. The K&N filters out the same amount of particles as paper filters if oiled correctly. The oil is there to compensate for the larger openings. I have about 6k miles with my K&N's without any problems. I honestly don't know of anyone having the MAF sensor issue aside from unreliable sources.K&N Mass Air Flow Sensor Statement

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote