View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Since installing the gauge, I'm much more cognicent of driving conservatively until my oil temps come all the way up to 180F. I'm also glad my oil cooler has a 200F thermostat instead of 180F. To answer your question, yes this still applies to you without an oil cooler. It just underscores the need for people with coolers to wait until oil temps come up to 180F before driving more aggressively.
Good info, thanks . I always warm up anyways, but frequently I'm already on the road rolling slow by the time the oil hits 140, and at 160 I'll drive "normal", but not hard WOT stuff till 180+.

For those of you with coolers: if you have a thermo plate, you don't have to worry *too* much about pressure damage to the cooler when the oil isn't fully warm. Based on my conversation with the MOCAL guy a while back (who made my thermo plate), the design of the thermo is that both pathways are fully open when the oil's cold. The bypass (that skips the cooler) gradually closes off over a ~5-10 degree range centered on the thermo plate's temp rating. Meaning even with a 180 thermo, you don't completely lose the bypass until 185-190-ish, and by then the oil should be thin enough to be fine.

If you don't have a thermo plate, all that pressure is going straight to the cooler when the oil's cold, and I'd be a lot more careful.