View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost View Post
I don't think there is a perfect test, but I do believe a combination of nurb numbers and skidpad tests give a better impression than just one test alone.
Indeed there isn't a perfect test. But I really don't think the Nurburgring tests are really that good. It's more of a marketing thing and people just buy into it. The lap time is never indicative of the car's true performance as too many factors can affect the time. You've got something like 170 corners and none of those test drivers are ever going to be able to click off the perfect lap. They will always be giving up time somewhere.

Say the GTR vs. ZR1 internet wars... it was just ridiculous. I think the numbers published were around 2 or 3 seconds apart which when you think about it is less than 1% difference in time between cars. No one in their right mind would ever look at those two cars and say, "well, it's obvious that Car A is better than Car B."

IMO, you're better suited to put two cars on a much, much smaller track with a mix of low and high speed corners. That way you have the same conditions and only around 10-12 corners or so which will make it much easier to get a 100% lap in. Then you get a more accurate idea of which car is better.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote